News Date: Tuesday 19th June 2012
Construction work to start on new Shoreham Footbridge
Construction work on the new Shoreham Footbridge is expected to begin at the start of August.
West Sussex County Council has written to main contractor Osborne to say it will be awarded the contract for the construction phase of the £9.8 million project.
It is expected to take 45 weeks to complete and be open to the public during the summer of 2013.
Work on the new bridge had been due to start in spring 2012. However, it was delayed while the County Council and Osborne reviewed the commercial and technical details of the project.
County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport, Pieter Montyn said: “I’m very pleased to announce that the County Council has sent main contractor Osborne a Letter of Intent to formally award the contract for the construction phase.
“This will allow Osborne time to begin its mobilisation process.
“I’d like to thank the local community for being patient while WSCC and Osborne concluded their review of the project.”
He added: “I understand the frustration the delay has caused but it is important that this work was carried out prior to the start of the construction phase.”
Local MP, Tim Loughton, said:
‘I am delighted that West Sussex County Council and Osborne have been able to resolve the difficulties with the contract. I appreciate that some residents were becoming frustrated with the delay, but WSCC did the right thing by taking their time and reviewing the plans before proceeding as the new footbridge will have the important job of continuing the link between both parts of Shoreham and could not be rushed.’